ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Thursday, December 08, 2005

sweet freedom

Finally, the semester is over! I'm done with finals and ATI testing for now. This has been the freakin', longest semester I have had in my six years of college. I have a whole month off; no tests or lectures, no getting up early for clinicals, no bathing dirty, old men. I'm so ready to graduate; I'm getting too old for this. But I've learned a lot of cool (and not so cool) stuff and had some great experiences this semester. I learned to give meds, shots, IV, enemas (yeah, that was fun; large woman hadn't crapped for three days, boy she ate a lot of corn), insert catheters, gave bed baths, got yelled at by anxious family members of a patient, got to watch my first endoscopy/colonoscopy (and I noticed the first polyp before the dr. did, pretty exciting, he gave me bonus points), do wound changes, worked with isolation patients, used "therapeutic communication" with psych. patients, helped with activities in the psych. ward, and learned a lot about different illnesses/diseases and psych. disorders. Man, I love this stuff! I also had some 'I'll treasure this moment forever' experiences, but I think I'll keep those to myself. It's hard to explain how God works on your heart when you are helping someone so fragile.
Plans for Christmas break? Hang out with friends that I have unfortunately neglected all semester, go out dancing, pick up extra hours at work, try to get a job at Children's Hospital, possibly go to Chicago with some friends, sleep, pick up my guitar again (it's been collecting dust since I started nursing school), paint, make/sell my jewelry, re-vamp my blog, hang out with my fam, and enjoy my momentary freedom from books. But currently, it's snowing outside, and I feel a snow angel coming on or possibly some sledding...

10 Comments:

Blogger ahbahsean said...

Yeah!! School's over for me too! We shall celebrate with much joy and leaping!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Lucas said...

Yeah, schools out... oh wait... I graduated Two years ago... suckers!

I haven't been dancing in a long time... or sleding. I need to get out of the office.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

lol good post. The corn thing... wow

lucas- we do need to go dancing and take turns:) Though I don't know anymore sweet moves. Guess I have to google some.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Lucas said...

Adam - we should actually go to Rockies or Stone Country again! It will be a reunion. I'll call Crossman!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

k but I might have to take a vacation, Peoria is like a 4-4 1/2 hour trip :(

8:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I just got back from Peoria (visiting Heather). Last month when I was up there, we went to Stone Country with some friends, it was fun showing off my sweet moves. And when I say sweet moves I mean running into people cuz I can't get the stupid steps right.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

so when are we doing this trip. We do need to have Christmas/New Years party. You know get sloshed and make out. jk

7:24 AM  
Blogger ahbahsean said...

Adam -- Back off, you know she's mine.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Lucas said...

Adam did you mean make out with me or Erin? or Crossman?

I'm getting sloshed this New Years Eve. Doing Church with a hang over will be awesome. You should come up. We are partying at Brianne's

2:32 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yeah... I was kinda confused about who you meant, too, Adam... but I was just going to leave it alone.

And Becky, shh... you weren't suppose to tell anyone...it was just one time

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home