ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Erin's Picks of 2006: Best and Worst Concerts

The year is coming to an end (Thank God!), and so much has happened but I have been too busy to share. So, to wrap up the year, I have decided to share with you "Erin's Picks of 2006" (I know, I'm a word-master). Most of this will be stuff that I wanted to write about but just didn't or things that I think are worth repeating. Enjoy.

Worst Concert: John Corbett at Bottleneck Blues Bar. "Who?" you may ask. He refers to himself as "Johnny C" (um, sorry, you are no Johnny Cash), but you may know him as Ian Miller in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I had a friend call me up who had an extra ticket and asked me to go with her and her sis. I'm so glad I took her up on it. I laughed so hard. Poor Johnny...

His lyrics (which he proudly said he wrote himself) were really deep and touching. Here are some memorable ones:
-"I don't have a nickel to my name but I've got lots of Cash." As in Johnny Cash, how clever...
-"This is the backdoor to my heart" Should I wipe my feet?
-And my favorite: "You can throw away those g** d*** birth control pills." What? Did I just hear that right? Um, I don't know how to take that. Are you more for natural family planning?


Before the concert started, we were talking about how he was dating Bo Derek and all the movies he had been in. Then in the middle of the concert, he said, "We're a bunch of single guys, and we are HORNY! Maybe some of you fine lookin' ladies can join us back at Motel 6..." First off, what happen to Bo?! Second, way to stay classy and not seem desperate, Johnny. Third, "fine lookin' ladies"... we were the only females there who haven't gone through menopause and no one there compares to Bo. Fourth, Motel 6? Yeah, right. Your music career may not be going any where, but I think you did make some money with your acting career.

This was the line before the concert. Notice: only one man among a sea of soccer moms. Must have been a designated driver... poor guy. But I can't say the women were well-behaved. All throughout the concert, they are yelling at him to take his clothes off, grabbing at him, and trying to dance dirty. The whole time I'm thinking, "she's my mom's age..."

Here we are excited before the concert, pointing out his picture. Life was so simple then.
I must admit, I came with high hope, so I did set myself up for disappointment. I mean, he is very talented; always playing diverse characters. Like in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", he played the romantic, understanding, always forgiving, all-around nice guy. But then as Aiden in "Sex in the City", he plays the romantic, understanding, always forgiving, all-around nice guy. And how could I forget his exceptional performance as Pastor Dan in "Raising Helen", where he plays a romantic, understanding, always forgiving, all-around nice guy. And not to mention him as Lars Hammond in "Serendipity", where he tried something different by being the romantic, understanding, always forgiving, all-around nice guy. If only all of us could be so talented...

Best Concert: Jason Mraz on Fourth of July Eve under the Arch. I have listened to his CDs (thanks, Alaina!), and I thought, "well, isn't he clever?". But in person, it's a whole new level of brilliance. His singing and guitar playing is far better in person than on his CDs, which I find to be quite an accomplishment since it seems like all of today's singers have voices that only seem to be perfect in the studio. On top of that, he is an amazing performer. He's up there goofing off, doing the robot, dancing, making jokes; his personality really comes out. And what a beautiful man. I was in awe. Here are some pix. Check out his blog on myspace. What a clever little man.


1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

... I have a hard time believing that is all you have to say...

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home