ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Shop Stop: The Augusta Emporium

Ty and I took a day trip to Augusta, MO to visit one of our favorite antique shops, the Augusta Emporium.  Tyler found this place while cruising down Hwy 94 to wine country, and the lady who owns it is from Colorado (Tyler's stompin' grounds), so they have fun chatting away about outdoorsy madness while I shop away.  The prices are great (sometimes I don't think she realizes that she has some awesome finds for indie-artsy folk) and carries unique treasures. 
I love how she decorates and displays her goodies.  These birds made me smile and now looking at them, I should have brought them home with me!
These yellow metal chairs are adorable!  I picture them at home in a garden full of bright, colorful flowers with eclectic, bohemian treasures. 
 
This owl reminded me of something from an Anthropologie catalog.  I took him home with me...
She also carries a large collection of vintage games.  I made this mixed media piece with some pieces of a game I bought there. 
But some of my favorite finds there are her collection of tin containers!  I lately have been experimenting with them to try make jewelry.  Here is one of my 'upcycled' necklaces I made from a candy tin with birds on it that I had bought there.  I made it by cutting the tin, hammering it into a form that I like, soldering the sides, and using resin and floating a piece of paper with 'love' for a shadow box effect.  It was a lot of effort, but I'm really happy with the results.  There are more pictures of it available on my Oddly Sentimental Designs page. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home