ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Tree-hugging Christmas


"If you want that 'fresh pine' scent, buy an air freshener! Let the trees live"
Last year 23 million Christmas trees were sold during the holiday season. It's sickening. Did you know that 1 acre of pine trees can supply enough oxygen for 18 people? This year I encourage you to let the trees live. Here are a couple of suggestions from the Sierra Club (some environmental group):
-use storm-downed branches or drift wood to decorate your house with instead of the traditional Christmas tree
-celebrate Hanukkah instead of Christmas because it is more "earth-friendly"
Actually, this is my family's Christmas tree. It ends up that the Christmas tree holder had a big crack in it and had been leaking water on our carpet for the past couple of days, so my dad put it in the front yard while he went to get a new holder. We had a lot of friends and family visiting that day, and I was asked about six times why our tree was in the front yard. At the time I had no idea why, so I told people it was on strike. The sign made it more convincing. When my mom saw the sign, she gasped and asked me if someone was taking our tree away. I laughed, reassured her that no one was taking our tree and that I was just messin'. My favorite part about the picture, though, is our gnome giving the 'peace' sign in the bottom left corner. I didn't notice him till now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucas said...

Why are you standing up for Mother Nature?! I don't know what's happening in St. Louis, but up here, she's been giving it to us hard since November. If global warming is happening... I ain't seein' it!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Sucks to be you; the weather down here has been in the 40s/50s with only a couple of days in the 30s. Not too bad at all...

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home