ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Photo of the Week: Well, if it makes you feel good about yourself...

Sorry for my extended vacation from blogging; between my "Tour de Friends" trip and me currently working two jobs that are awesome but physically (and sometimes emotionally) draining, I haven't much time or energy to write. Buuuut, I'll try to be better in the future. Now for the picture of the week... I didn't take it. I found it on the internet, but it went along with something else I wanted to talk about. I just didn't want to mislead anyone, so no complaints or comments about that ;)



My little sister and her boyfriend were down at the Loop (my favorite St.Louis spot), and she saw this interesting sign. It was a flyer for volunteers to join the squirrel patrol. Don't believe me? Call this number: 314-398-1777. Trust me; it's worth it. I called it about a month ago, and it was trying to make motorists more aware of squirrels and rabbits while driving. But it's voicemail message is different now, and it gives some great suggestions on helping our fluffy-tailed friends... which means that this is an ongoing, active group (I wonder if they have monthly meetings and what issues they try to tackle)... and I can't help but wonder if this is honestly they best they could come up with. Squirrels?! Not "let's collect clothes for poor people", or "let's visit old people in the nursing homes". No, those are too cliche'. We need something more cuddly. Well, there are already groups for the animals on the endangered species list. How about squirrels? I guess there is some squirrel crisis that I didn't know about. While doing research, I found out that there are a lot of squirrel activists out there and there even is a National Squirrel Awareness Week in October. Oh, well, if it makes you feel like you're making a difference...

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Alaina, were you that reckless teenage driver? I think it would be fun to have a flying squirrel as a pet. I would probably name him Skippy or Fred.
$500 for hitting a white squirrel? I would run over it a couple more times to make it worth it. No, I'm not really that heartless; I would feel horrible about running over it... but I would probably drive away really, really fast.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mandybear said...

I remember in College Beefer (bethany Harris) was deathly afraid of the squirrels at LCC....why you may ask? We decided that these little scary monsters were way oversized and bigger than any squirrels we have ever seen.

TRUE STORY: My bed was along the window and one time I woke up with a squirrel hanging onto it...I was so scared and panicked and knocked him off...

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home