ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Boys will be boys... except when they act like girls...

At the hospital this past week, I was working with a bunch of teenage boys.  For many people, such an experience would be described with many explicit words, but I love it. You never know what is going to come out of their mouths, and as long as you have thick skin and a good sense of humor, it's usually entertaining. Here are two conversations I had with them this week...

The boys were inquiring about my 'stalkers'.  'Stalkers' is a term that one of the patients had coined to describe my nursing students, since they follow me around all day.  School time tends to be the guys' favorite time of the year... it's not every day you get to have a cute nursing student waiting on you, hand and foot. 
Pt. 1: "Can I get a cute, younger one?! I didn't get any last semester..."
Pt. 2: "Man, don't rule out the older ones... I had an older one who gave me an awesome back massage with my bath..."
Pt. 3: "Ohhh, I want a younger one who gives good back massages!"
Way to treat my students like pieces of meat, ordering up what you want... as least it's a good bargaining tool to get the guys to do what I want ;)... boys...

Then the following day, our conversation took an interesting, unexpected turn: 
Pt. 1: "Hey Erin, let me look at your ID."  It has my picture on it, and my hair was long at the time of pic was taken. "I definitely like your hair shorter."
Pt. 2: "yeah, your hair was freakin' long, and though it was really pretty, I like it a lot better this length..."
Pt. 3: "yeah, me too!  It's really cute!  How do you get it to be sooo shiny?"
Um... that was... odd and unexpected... Shocked, I laughed and told them thanks.  I was tempted to ask them if they wanted 'manis' and 'pedis' later and we could discuss the recent celebrity break-ups (Helllooooo, Ryan Reynolds), but I didn't want to hurt their male egos.  

Here are a couple of my pendants with a boy-ish charm theme from my etsy shop, Oddly Sentimental Designs.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home