ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!

Here's a little background info. My parents were high school sweethearts. They met in geometry class; my dad sat in front of my mom. They got married a couple of years after they graduated high school. They have four wonderful children (the third is truly exceptional). Growing up, my mom was not close to her brother, so she was determined to make sure that didn't happen to us. When we were kids, she made us play together, which we hated at the time, but now I'm grateful cuz my brother and sisters are among my closest friends. About seven years ago, my parents opened up our home to my cousin and got custody of her (my dad's sister's daughter). She went from an ackward kid to a beautiful young lady, whose still kinda ackward ;) . Then about two years ago after grandma died, my parents asked grandpa to live with us (my dad's dad). He's very entertaining... and aggravating. My parents have been married for 33 yrs. Since it's their anniversary, I decided to tell you about how great they are.
My parents both came from not-so-loving homes, but they became Christians about 23, 24 years ago and decided that their children would be raised differently. I thank God when I look at their families and see what my parents have come from and how God has changed them and how they have rose above that. They work so well as a team, each bringing different strengths to the relationship. My dad is so funny, hard working, and wise, and he is great at giving hugs and kisses, and letting us know how much he loves us. If I need dating advice, or need a shoulder to cry on, or need my car fixed, or if I want to build something, my dad is one of the first people I go to. He always tells me I'm his favorite, and even though he tell my siblings that, too, I can't help but believe him. My mom is so selfless and never complains. Though she isn't the greatest at verbalizing it, she's one to show her love through action. She does so much for us without expecting a "thanks", and majority of the time she sees the need and does it without being asked. She has always put us (her family) first. I have learned so much about selfless love and contentment from her. She is always encouraging me to achieve my dreams, and she really believes that I can do anything. I love it when I walk by her room and hear her praying on the phone with one of her friends for us. Sometimes I just sit on the steps and quietly listen, and smile.
I also love how my parents love each other. My dad buys slurpees for my mom almost every night (she loves them), and my mom always laughs at his jokes, whether they are funny or not. They tend to show their love for each other through the little things. Occasionally, they sneak a kiss in front of us, and we tease them, but I love knowing that they are still romantically in love. They truly enjoy each other's company; my dad has told me that he can't wait for us all to move out so that he can enjoy growing old with his wife.
So congrats, Mom and Dad. And thanks for showing me what the good life looks like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Gee, thanks Meg! I'll be sure to check it out...

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lucas said...

Erin,
You should go to her blog and cuss her out, or just leave her this comment...

I read over your blog, and I found it stupid and trite, but you may fing My Blog interesting. My blog is about more exciting things than which garbage can got raided by bears. So please click here to visit my blog and delete your own.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Lucas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home