ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day of Art with Erin: Cork Board Collage

As a New Year resolution, I am attempting to do something once a week to express myself artistically*.  I had a rough start with that yesterday, but was happy with my results by the end of the day. 

My sister and I went to the mall for make-overs; she is wanting to become a make-up artist (and she is fantastic!), so we are starting to scope out other people's handy work.  My sister had hers done by a chick at MAC, and ended up 'mouth-dropping' gorgeous... I, unfortunately, got mine done at Estee Lauder.  I got the 'romantic' look done, not realizing that 'romantic' was the politically correct term for 'lady of the night'.  After receiving many 'offers', I wiped off all the eye make-up.  Nice to know that I would do fair with that back-up job...

Things continued down hill as I was shopping at Hobby Lobby.  Hobby Lobby has these glass display shelves when you first walk in, where merchandise is sectioned off by themes.  I was looking at a display shelf that had a cute '@' cork board, along with some vases, glass plates, and bunches of fake grapes on it.  As I picked up the '@' sign, to my dismay everything... yes, EVERYTHING, fell off the shelf!  I felt like a little kid getting catch touching something I shouldn't as everyone in a 30 ft. radius stared at me... smooth, Erin... A guy who works there was too kind as he tried to convince me that this happens all the time and helped me clean up.  I do, though, give myself 2 points for not actually breaking anything.

Luckily, as I started working on my project, things got better.  I was wanting to put up some cork board in my office, but had been unhappy with what I have found, so I decided to make a 'cork board collage' to add a little extra 'umph' to my office.

I started out by measuring and cutting the cork board to the sizes I wanted.
 Once done cutting, I arranged them into a design I liked.
 Then I painted all the cork boards white...
 Then painted simple, repetitive designs...
 Hang them up and viola!  Cork board collage!
 All that is left to do is put it to good use...
 Here's another view of my awesome workspace... I love it... I'll give you a better tour some other day :)



*this was carefully worded so I can be rather liberal with it...  :)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Cute space! Can I ask a quick question, as I am looking to paint some cork boards, what type of paint did you use for the white? Did you have to seal it or anything first?

Thanks!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Actually, it's just acrylic paint! I did have to put a couple of coats on it, since it is so porous. And I didn't seal it; it has held up rather well, thumb tacks usage hasn't affected the integrity of the paint. Good luck!

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home