ODDLY SENTIMENTAL

odd'ly: in a manner differing from the ordinary, usual, or expected. sen'ti-men'tal: marked or governed by feeling, sensiblity, or emotional idealism; expressive of tender emotions, such as love, sympathy, gentleness, & nostalgia.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO, United States

Monday, April 11, 2011

I'm pissed off... I mean 'on'... :)

In clinical, I was making my rounds, hopping from room to room to see what my students are up to. As I was about to exit one patient's room, there was a person in front of me trying to get into the bathroom to empty a container of urine and put dirty laundry in the hamper. As she struggles to open the bathroom door, amber waves of urine crash against the sides of the container, and I had a quick thought that this isn’t gonna be good. The urine splashes out of the container, and right onto my jacket… onto my face… and into my left eye! Bagaughspshhfa! Luckily, I maintained my composure and dignity (which was quite an accomplishment with pee on my face, I must say, so here is me patting myself on the back! *pat-pat*... good job, Erin...), and rinsed my eye out quickly and talked to the appropriate people at the hospital and the university to follow appropriate policy. Found out that I now have to rinse my eye out for about fifteen minutes cuz a quick rinse isn't good enough… yeah…

The eye rinse at our work is pretty much a HUGE bottle of sterile normal saline, aaaaaaaaand it had a ton of dust that had collected on it, which normally I would find that rather gross, but considering I just got pee in my eye which is even grosser, I just found it disheartening.
“This is what I’m suppose to use?!”
“Well, at least it’s not expired!” said one of our fabulous nurse managers who was helping me out; she poured while I held my eye open over a sink (we're all about teamwork at my job! :).  But we could only pour a little bit at a time cuz every time she poured the solution on my eye/face, I couldn’t breathe! I have no idea why! I felt like I was underwater! It was very traumatic! And I have this sneakin’ suspicion that she rather enjoyed it (just kidding, she’s wonderful! :). I laughed and said, “I feel like I’m getting water-boarded! I tell you whatever you want! Mother’s maiden name?! Social security number?! It’s yours!” We finally got a good system down where I was able to get an adequate amount of oxygen while having my eye cleansed. By the end of it, I was more composed and am a stronger person for it… tried to convince her I could try to become a marine due to my ability to tolerate water-boarding… She told me that they would break me into two… probably… but a girl can dream, can’t she?


Along with the comforting act of getting my eye flushed, I got to go the emergency room… due to policy… double yeah… and got to sit there for a couple of hours for them to tell me that I did what I needed to and I can go home, and I need to keep an ‘eye’ on it (bahahaha! I crack myself up!). Oh how my life is so exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home